Thursday 10 March 2011

OutReach Program

The Outreach program was one of the best days for me. We all brought stuff such as books, school supplies, and stickers. When we first arrived, the class put on a performance for us which got a lot of us tearing up.


There was 4 children sitting on the stairs beside me so I pulled my camera out and took a few shots of them. There was one little girl who would do the cutest pose every time the camera was on her, melted my heart.
We were split up into two groups. My group went up stairs where we were to give two rooms complete make overs. This included flooring, book shelves, window curtains, lightbulbs, fans, and tables.
The other half stayed below and gave their items and a lunch to the children. We joined them after we were finished and continued handing stuff out and hanging out with the children. I brought some canadian stickers with me which really got the kids attention. I had 30 hands reached out in front of me waiting for a sticker. I was hard when it came down to the last sticker :(
That whole experience was such an eye opener. It was emotional when we first got there but after hanging out with the children and volunteers and getting to chat with a few of them it turned everything around. Just seeing how positive they are being in the conditions they live in really made me take a step back and realize that we take so much for granted. They really make light out of every situation.

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely an eye opener experience. Glad you were able to get in touch with the inner you while you went there to win a beauty contest sort of speak. It says a lot about you.
    Moreover, this feeling of being blessed & never take things for granted can replicated every day when I volunteer into HIV organization or feed a hungry homeless. But I agree kids have special power of awakening

    ReplyDelete